I have been meaning to write this for months now. Ever since a blogpost mentioned how someone was advised to attend a church but not to join the church force. Ever since I saw the same sentiment expressed and re-affirmed by members of Naija Twitterverse. Ever since I shook my head, amazed at how easy it was to vilify such a excellent privilege as serving in the church.
So, to give a bit of balance, share my personal testimony and contend for the faith, I present 21+ Reasons To Join Your Church’s Work Force.
1. It is scripture-based.
The bible says “you shall serve the Lord your God” Ex 23:25 and “Obedience is better than sacrifice”. Joining your local church workforce is a guaranteed way to serve God. It is also obedience. And remember, Isaiah 1:30 says ” the willing and obedient will eat the good of the land.”
2. It is your family business.
If you are saved, you are a child of God, a member of God’s household. As a responsible child, your desire should be to see God’s Kingdom flourish. One of the ways to that is give your time and talents by serving in a department of your local church.
3. It pleases God.
God is pleased when we love, share and give. He is delighted when more people get to know and experience His goodness. Your service in the choir, protocol, ushering etc when done cheerfully and whole-heartedly gives God pleasure.
4. It gets the great commission fulfilled.
Jesus asked us to share the gospel of the Kingdom to every living creature. Sharing the gospel takes time, talent, skill, planning and lots of money. Giving your services at your local church facilitates the spread of the gospel.
5. It develops your gifts and talents.
Whitney Houston, Snoop Dogg (Lion?) and Kirk Franklin are just a few well known examples of people whose musical talent was spotted and honed in church.
What ever your gifts are, they could always do with some kaizen. And a church is one of the best places to get a platform to serve and improve.
6. It is a great way to meet people and make friends.
In Eddie Murphy’s Classic Film ‘Coming To America’ the young prince is given some wife spotting advice. ” Look for a good girl in church or a library.”
The advice is still true. Like beckons to like. So if you are wondering where to meet people that can add value to your life, one of your best bets is in church. ( Caveat: Beware of Judas and Jezebel )
7. If you ever need people, you can count on your department.
Emergencies happen. Life happens. Suddenly you need people, maybe for a blood transfusion, or a loan or a party. Don’t try to reap where you didn’t sow. If you were committed in a department, the department ll be committed to you too.
8. If you ever need help, you’ll get it through your department too.
Same as above but includes people to help with cooking, moving, etc
9. It builds your Social Capital.
One of the new twenty first century wealth indicators is Social Capital. Star Power. Follower Count. Platforms. Different names for the same thing. Joining your church workforce boosts your Social Capital. Go figure. 🙂
10. It may be a requirement for certain employment, housing or even wedding procedures.
Some Landlords, Awards, Marriage Committees and Employers have a column for Church Commitment in their Introduction forms. Hmmm.
11. It provides a safe space to grow and learn.
Sometimes our families can be too cuddly and the world can be to harsh. The church offers a safe space for growth, personal development and improvement.
12. Service provides an avenue for you to give back.
Life is a cycle of in and out, giving and receiving, your giving is the prompt for more receiving. Serving in a local church creates and opportunity for your to pass on the things you have learnt and to give back to society.
13. We are better together.
You might have great plans to touch lives or build a hospital but you might be handicapped by finances and lack of expertise. Joining a the workforce allows us to synergise and leverage on the contributions and strengths of your group to do more, be more.
14. It builds Inter-personal skill, communication skills and Personal management skills.
Time, money, equipment and people, four things you’ll need to manage well to excel. Serving in church can give you invaluable hands on experience on how to handle all four.
I have seen people come to our church office clueless but leave after 4-5 years to build successful businesses or take up jobs in multinational companies.
15. You have a portion of the blessing your church receives for the crusades, missions, souls won etc.
16. You have easier access to the Church Leaders in case you need their endorsement.
17. You enjoy extra prayer cover.
18. You have more opportunities to be a blessing.
19. You have more opportunities to receive blessing.
20. You key into the 1 Sam 2:30 Promise: Them that honour me, I will honour.
21. You have a useful bargaining chip.
Like Hezekiah, you can remind God of faithfulness, and like him, you can pray for things to change in your favour.
Time and space constrains me to speak of all the rewards of service. They include
22. Prosperity Job 36:11
23. Good health Ex 23:25
24. Long Life 2Kings 20
25. Honour John12:26
26. Protection Ps 91:14-15
And in the life to come:
27. Crowns and A Throne Rev 3 and 4
28. Glory Mal 3:17-18
29. Immortality 1 Cor 15:52-58
30. A Prepared Inheritance Matt 25:34
31. Shinning as a star forever. Dan 12:3
Note that in experiencing the benefits, rewards and blessings of service, terms and conditions apply.
For the Terms And Conditions of Acceptable Service, keep a date next week.
How has serving in a local assembly been a blessing you? Please share with us! 🙂