It is hard to read a book like Americanah without having an opinion about it. We want to hear yours.
Here, are 7 questions based on the book to help you express those opinions (yes, you have to read it to answer). As a good sport, I’ll answer first.
P/S I can’t wait to read your replies. 🙂
1. Did you like Americanah?
Yes & No? Why?
2. Would you recommend it to a friend?
3. Do you think you will read it again?
4. How does it compare to Half Of A Yellow Sun?
5. Who was your favourite character and why?
6. What was the best part of the book for you?
7. And the worst?
Bonus: Did you notice the -nesses and -ilys?
I liked it because it did show long, hard work and a touch of finesse.
I disliked it because it lacked compassion for most of the characters. The scorn in the narrators voice was heavy and oft times ridiculous.
2. Yes I would.
3. No, not at all.
4. Poorly. Half Of A Yellow Sun is 5X better than Americanah.
5. Blaine; because he strived to do the right thing at all times.
6. The high school romance beween Ifemelu and Obinze.
7 The authorial intrusion; almost every scene had a sermon to preach.
Bonus: What??? They almost blinded me!